Native American Stereotypes (Graphs and Charts)
Below is a humouristic chart making fun of what kids in the US learn about Native American culture. Although it is meant as a joke, there may be some seriousness under the surface.
- Make similar charts called
- “What Kids Learn about the Sámi in Norwegian Elementary School”
- “What Kids Learn about the Aborigines in Australian Elementary School”
- “What Kids Learn about the Maoris in New Zealand Elementary School”.
- Present your charts and compare them in class.
- To what extent were they different?
- In the light of your presentations, discuss stereotypes and prejudice.
For more information on how to work with graphs and charts, check out chapter 5: Communicating with Technology > Exercises > Reading Charts and Graphs