2: Teaching Tips
Questions to the Film
- What kind of school is Welton?
- What are the school’s ideals? Do such ideals necessarily mean the same to everyone?
- If you were attending Welton, and Mr Keating was your poetry teacher, how would you describe him to your parents?
- How is the relationship between the teacher John Keating and his students?
- Why did Mr Keating tell his students to rip out the introduction of the poetry book?
- Why did the students decide to create a Dead Poets Society?
- What is the relationship between Neil and his father like?
- Why was Neil’s father so upset when Neil decided to try to become an actor?
- Which aspects of his student’s personalities and which talents do Mr Keating want to develop?
- Why did Neil decide to commit suicide?
- At the point when Neil decides to commit suicide we see him with a rosary on his head. Do you think this is any kind of symbolism? If so, is this symbol adequate?
- Why did Mr Nolan and the school administration force the boys to sign the paper blaming Mr Keating for Neil’s death?
- Do you think Neil still would have eventually committed suicide if Mr Keating had never come into his life?